Sock Bag

I have always had a sock box for those lost souls (socks) searching for their mates. I guess we have fairies in the house who like to carry off just one sock to leave the other useless. I used to have a sock box to hold them, but today, I decided to make a bag.

You can make this any size. I will need to adjust the pattern to fit a regular size hanger in the future, or I can just place ties on the top and tie it to any hanger that I would like. For this pattern, I used a slightly smaller hanger; it might have been from the kids section in one of the clothing stores.

I used a newspaper for the pattern. I traced the shape that could pass as a sock. Then I traced a separate toe section and a separate heal section.
I also traced a hanger section. I might make that one differently next time, because it seemed to take longer than it should have. I cut two strips of Timtex interfacing (two inches thick and the width of the sock-this pattern was 14 inches). I liked the stiffness and it helped hold the shape of the top of the sock better than some of the softer ones. Use whatever works best for you, though.
Sew an outline on the hanger interfacing to fold over so the raw edges do not show. I used dark ink to outline the hanger so it would be visible in the photo. The line that I am sewing will give plenty of room for the hanger.

Sew the toe to the sock body.

Sew the heal to the sock body. When I got to the corner, I left the needle down and turned to finish to the end.

The Timtex is an iron on interfacing. I folded the material over so there were no raw edges and then ironed in place. Do this to the front part of the sock and the back part of the sock.

Sew along the base to secure.
Sew the hanger interfacing onto the wrong side of the back of the sock. Do not sew the top hole where the neck of the hanger will come out. Otherwise, you won’t be able to fit the hanger inside.

Turn the sock pieces right sides together and sew around the side, toe, heal, and other side. Do not sew the top closure. That will need to remain open for the socks and hanger.

This might be old school, but I still often trim the material to get rid of bulk or just help it move better. If you do this great, if not and it doesn’t affect your project, then you just saved a step.

Turn inside out and place hanger into the hanger slot. There you have it, your own sock bag for those missing socks. I tend to wait until the bag it full and then match the pairs up. Whatever is not matched, I tie a knot in them as a notice that the other pair may really be gone forever. Eventually, they turn into dog toys to chew on or fetch. Not much sewing for those quick toys. Just roll up and toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment