This is the bottom third of my nieces quilt. There is unicorn on the right side of the quilt. I places flowery bushes in various spots. They each have a butterfly in them. In comparison to the unicorn, the butterflies must be huge in this fantasy land that I have created. The size scale would mean that he fishes, shells, and sea horses are also rather large.
The water section of this piece was rather busy with all the fish, shells, and seahorses. I decided to leave the right side simpler and only added one unicorn, instead of the three that I was going to add. I also added only one bush so that the unicorn wasn't totally alone.
The unicorn was drawn onto fusible and then sewn to a white shiny material. I cannot remember where I got the material or what it is specifically called. It does have a nap and will shine differently when someone brushes their hand over it one way versus another way.
The bushes were made in a similar style. I drew onto the fusible, added the fabric right side against the fusible, but I layered batting as well. I sewed around the edges and then cut a hole in the fusible and turned the bushes to the right sides were facing out. The batting allows the bushes to puff out just a bit.
The fishes were made by using an iron on fusible and cutting the shapes of the fishes. I first ironed them into place. Then I satin stitched them to keep them secure and help prevent the ends of the fabric from unraveling.
The butterflies, sandy beach, shells, and seahorses were fussy cut. I used iron on fusible to adhere them to the fabric and then satin stitched them into place as well.
I had previously wanted to use the blue that I turned into the water as the sky and the sky fabric for the water. My niece had requested a reversal. She said the darker blue reminded her of a cloudy sky as the sun was setting. She also thought the plants on the lighter blue fabric looked like they could grow under water. So I made the switch. I guess in this fantasy land, the ground and water glow lighter than the sky.
Now, the grass and water were pieced by strips. I used my grid paper to determine the dimensions of each strip. You can tell the straight edges on the left of the quilt section. On the right, the straight lines are hidden by the curvy sand section.